Wednesday, October 10, 2018

WIOW (Wine I'm Obsessed With) FALL 2018:
2015 GREYWACKE WILD SAUVIGNON

My dear wineaux, of late I've found myself honing two awesome levels of enthusiasm about wine. Number 1: "I'm OBSESSED with it." Number 2: "I'm not mad at it." Luckily, I'm not mad at a large number of wines. But the highest level is reserved for those truly special bottles.

People often ask me what I'm "enjoying right now," so I thought it was time to share some of my obsessions with you!

We begin with a wine that has so captivated me, I've ordered it THREE TIMES. I first encountered the 2015 Greywacke Wild Sauvignon at a tasting of Australian and New Zealand wines, during a seminar. I fell instantly in love--so much so that I whipped out my phone, hiding it under the table, and ordered six bottles before the seminar was over.

Then I drank them. Then I ordered 6 more bottles. Then I drank those. Then I ordered 6 more bottles. I'm trying to parcel these out, but am about to pre-emptively order it again. I fear the day the allotment runs dry, and am bracing myself for disappointment. YET! I share this information with you, even though your pleasure may cause my sadness to come that much quicker.

The glorious deets:

2015 Greywacke Wild Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough NZ
~$30

Aromas jump out of the glass, followed by the waves of flavors in the mouth: honeysuckle, peony, gooseberry, quince, ripe pear, grapefruit, mango, melon, green bell pepper, grass, pink peppercorns, ginger, flint, some light vanilla/nutmeg. (See? OBSESSED.) It has loads of acid, and is fairly high in alcohol (14%) but the acid zing keeps it from overheating. There's some lees stirring, and it's fully fermented in barrel (with a touch--7%--of new oak,) both of which contribute to the luscious, creamy mouthfeel. Different elements ebb and flow over the outrageously long finish, making you sit up and pay attention! This wine is incredibly complex, and gorgeously well-balanced. It shows traditional elements of a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, but zooms WAY beyond what you expect. Y'all know I often tend to drink sub-$20, but it is absolutely worth the extra ten bucks for this baby. A truly outstanding wine. WM: 98

Stay tuned for my next obsession...
Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment